Wash one peck of medium-sized cucumbers and cover with one gal. of
water, boiled and cooled; add 1 cup salt and let stand one week.
- Drain, wash; cover with 1 tsp. alum and cooled, boiled water for one
- Drain; split pickles and put on a fresh solution of alum and cooled,
boiled water. Let
stand for another day.
- Drain. Make syrup of 4 pts sugar and 4 pts white vinegar, 1
tsp. cinnamon bark, broken up and 1 tsp. whole cloves (put these in a
bag). Boil and pour over pickles and let them stand one day.
- Drain; boil up syrup again, pour over pickles, and let stand a
- Drain on third day, pack in clean, boiled, jars, boil up syrup once
more and pour over pickles. Seal while hot.
July 26, 2013